Chapter 7: Temporary Works in Connection with Building Operations (Safety & Security)
- Site Hoardings
No Person shall start building works on a site abutting on a street without having first provided hoarding or barriers to the satisfaction of the Authority along the whole length of such site so as to prevent danger or injury to the public or to the persons employed in the work; provided however that this Regulation does not apply in the case of building works in connection with structures situated at least 15ft (4.5m) away form a public street and being not more than 25ft. (7.5m) in height.
- Use of Public Streets
No part of any street shall be used in connection with the construction, repair or demolition of any building except with the written permission of the concerned Authority. Any person holding such permission shall put up and maintain to the satisfaction of the concerned Authority, fences or barriers in order to separate the building work form such street. Where such separation is not possible he shall make arrangement for the security of public to the satisfaction of the concerned Authority.
- Obstruction to be lit & marked
- Any person causing any building material or other things to be deposited, any hoarding to be erected shall at his own expenses cause sufficient and adequate red lights to be fixed upon or near the same and shall continue such lights every night from sunset to sunrise while such materials, hoardings, things or excavation remain. In addition to above, red flags of reflectorized material shall be provided during day time.
- Any excavation is to be sufficiently fenced to a height of at-least 4ft. (1.21m) until it is filled up.
- Utility Services not to be obstructed.
All material, hoarding, fences or other obstructions on any street shall be kept clear of any fire hydrants if any, and, other utility service installations, or alternative arrangements shall be made and precautions shall be taken according to the laid down procedure of the utility agencies and to the satisfaction of the concerned Authority to divert or keep clear of obstruction of any roadside or other drain during the period of temporary obstruction
- Removal of Obstruction after Completion of Works
All obstructions shall be removed within seven (7) days of the completion of the work and the street and all drains and public utility installations shall be left in clean, tidy and in serviceable conditions.
- Dangerous Obstruction
If any material, hoarding, excavation or any other thing near or on any street, shall be in the opinion of the concerned Authority, dangerous to the passers-by along such street, the concerned Authority shall cause the same to be removed, protected or enclosed so as to prevent danger there from and shall be entitled to recover the expenses thereof from the owner of such materials or from the person who made such hoarding, excavation or other thing to become dangerous.
7-7 Stability of Adjacent Buildings
No excavation or dewatering or earthwork or demolition of a building which is likely to effect the stability of adjacent building shall be started or continued unless adequate steps are taken before and during the work to prevent the collapse/damage of any adjacent building or the fall or any part of it.
7-8 Filling of Excavated Site.
A site once excavated shall not be kept open and idle for a period beyond the validity period of building plan, failing which the Authority shall not revalidate the building plans and shall inform the concerned Authority for further appropriate remedial measures and in case of any mishaps the owner shall be responsible for life and property of the effectees.
7-9 Adequate Safety Measures
- Adequate safety measures shall, where necessary, be provided and used to protect any persons form falling on earth rock or other material of or adjacent to any excavation or earth work.
- Material shall not be placed or stocked near the edge of any excavation so as to endanger persons working below.
- No load shall be placed or moved near the edge of any excavation, where it is likely to cause a collapse of the side of the excavation and /or endanger any person.
- Where vehicles or machines are used close to any excavation there shall be measures to prevent the vehicles or machines from over –running and falling into the excavation or causing collapse of any side of the excavation.
- In all buildings of greater than 20ft. (6m) height, temporary rails/ scaffolding/barriers shall be installed during construction at the edge of slabs and around all openings such lift, stairwell etc.
- Supervision of Demolition Work
The demolition of a building and the operations incidental there to shall only be carried out under the direct supervision of a Professional.
- Safe Loading
No roof, floor or other part of the building shall be so overloaded during demolition and construction with debris or materials as to render it unsafe.
8-12.1 Suitable and sufficient scaffolds shall be provided for all work that cannot safely be done from the ground or from part of the building or from a ladder or other available means of support, and sufficient safe means of access shall be provided to every place at which any person has to work at any time.
7-12.2 Every scaffold and means of access and every part thereof shall be adequately fabricated with suitable and sound material, and or required strength for the purpose for which it is used, shall be properly supported and shall where necessary be sufficient and properly strutted or braced to ensure stability. Unless designed as independent structures they shall be rigidly connected to a part of the building which is of sufficient strength to afford safe support. All scaffolds, working platforms, gangways, runs and stairs shall be maintained to ensure safety and security.
7-12.3 All vertical members of scaffolds on ground level facing road side should be adequately wrapped with spongy material up to a height of at least 7 ft.(2.13 m) from ground, should be wrapped all along its length with such material.
- Road Side Protection
- To ensure adequate safety of the pedestrian and other road users, all buildings having a height of over ground +2 floors should have adequate arrangement by way of providing protective covering of suitable material such as Hessian sheets/Burlap etc. as per requirement.
- Adequate provision of safe passage for pedestrian shall be provided, in case the scaffolding covers part of the road/footpath.
- Working Platform
- Every working platform form which a person is liable to fall which is more Than7ft.(2.13m) height shall be at least 2ft.(0.6m) wide provided the platform is used as a working platform only and not for the deposit of any material.
- A clear passage-way at least 1.5ft.(0.45m) wide shall be left between one side working platform and any fixed obstruction or deposited materials.
7-15 Guard Rails
Every side of a working platform, gangway and stair shall be provided with a suitable guard-rail of adequate strength, to a height of at least 3-3” (1m) above the platform, gangway or steps.
7-16.1 Every ladder shall be of good construction, sound material and adequate strength for the purpose for which it is used.
7-16.2 Every ladder shall be securely fixed when in use and shall not have any missing or defective rungs.
7-17 Work on sloping Roofs
7-17.1 Where work is to be done on the sloping surface of a roof, suitable precautions shall be taken to prevent persons employed from falling off.
7-17.2 Suitable and sufficient ladders or boards, which shall be securely supported, shall be provided and used to avoid concentration of loads leading to unsafe conditions.
7-17.3 Where persons are employed in a position below the edge of a sloping roof and where they are in position of being endangered by work done on the roof, suitable precautions shall be taken to prevent tools or materials falling from such roofs so as to endanger such persons or passers-by.
7-18 Precautions for Raising and Lowering Loads
For raising or lowering loads or for suspending them by either hand or Power operation the following precautions shall be observed:-
- No broken wire rope shall be used
- No chain shall be used which has been shortened or jointed to another chain by means of bolts and nuts.
- No chain or wire rope shall be used which a knot has tied in any part which is under direct tension.
- Provided with an efficient device to prevent the displacement of the sling or load form the hook; or of such shape as to reduce as far as possible the risk of such displacement.
- All debris and waste material during construction shall be disposed off though well designed chutes from each level of under construction building of height over G+2 floors or more.
- The vertical hoist platform used shall be enclosed/protected by proper barrier. Every opening of lift, shaft or other such vertical voids or openings in slab etc. Where a person is likely to fall shall be protected by safety barrier and properly lit. Any area e.g basement, where natural light is not available or which is dark shall be so illuminated as to eliminate any risk of life or hazard to users.