Chapter 3: Permits & Procedures
- G E N E R A L
- Public Notice
3-1.1.1. Public notice, whenever required under these Regulations, shall be given in the following manner:-
a). They shall be given in the leading Newspapers minimum one each (Urdu, Balochi & English).
b). By affixing copies thereof display on the site minimum size 3×4 ft. (1×1.2m) on board and prominent AUTHORITY public notice board.
- The notice shall state the place at which, and the officers with whom copies/objections may be filed within a specified time.
- The officer so designated shall consider the suggestions or objection filed or testimony given and submit a report to the relevant Authority as the case may be as defined under these Regulations…
- A copy of the notice shall be submitted to the Concerned Authority which may have referred the matter or under whose jurisdiction the land falls.
- Public notice relating to change of land use shall be issued under the Authority of GDA which conforms to the format prescribed/notified by GDA.
- Revoking of Development Permit.
Where a Development permit has been granted, if the Authority which granted it, finds that any of the provisions of these Regulations or any conditions of the development permit have been violated, the Authority may issue an order revoking the permit.
- If the person has misrepresented facts or has suppressed the facts
- If the person responsible for the violation has not taken the corrective action directed by such Authority within the time specified provided that the Authority has given such person an opportunity to be heard on the matter.
- Classifications of Developments Works For purposes of these Regulations all buildings and land development shall be classified as per Table-3.1.
- Engagement of Professional
- Every person who intends to carry out building/land development works or to demolish a building to carry out addition/alternation or repairs in a building, shall engage respective Professional tables below to prepare Architecture/Town Planning Engineering Design and Drawing including specification and to supervise their respective works at site.
- The requirement for engagement of Professionals and their
Authorization as per clause 3-1.4.1 shall be as given in Table 3.2 and 3.3.
Table 3.1 – Categories of Development Works
|CATEGORY-I||– Bungalow on plot up to 120 Sq. yds (100. 33Sq.m)
– Any other building on plot up to 120 Sq.yards.
– (100.33 Sq.m) with height up to 33 ft. (10m)
|CATEGORY-II||– All Bungalows
– Any other building with total floor area up to 20,000Sq. ft. (1858 .74 Sq.m) and/or height greater than 50ft. (15.2m) other than category IV.
|CATEGORY-III||– All buildings with total floor area greater than 20,000 Sq.ft. (1858.74Sq.m) and /or height greater than 50 ft.
– (15.2m) Other than Category IV.
|CATEGORY-IV||– Public use building with total floor area more
– than 3600 Sq. ft. (336 Sq.m) building for essential facilities, public sale buildings.
|CATEGORY-V||– Land Development works for land with area 2.5 acres (1 hectare) and greater.
Table 3.2 Procedure for Approval
|S. No.||CATEGORY||PLAN SIGNED BY PROFESSIONAL||APPROVAL GRANTED|
|1.||I||Building designer or Architect or Professional Engineer (Civil) or Structural Engineer||(One stage)
|2.||II||Architect and/or Structural Engineer||(One stage)
|3.||III||Architect and Structural Engineer||(Two stages)
Architecture Approval Submission of Structural Design/Drawing for record (and vetting)
|4.||IV||Architect and Structural Engineer
Plumbing and electrical drawing in public sale building by relevant professional.
Structural design and drawing duly vetted by proof Engineer plumbing and electrical drawing duly signed by relevant professional.
|5.||V||Town Planner||(One stage)
Architect and Structural Engineer are both required for residential bungalows on more than 400Sq.yds. (336Sq.m) plots.
3-Permits & procedures Structural vetting by a proof Engineer is required for any building having a height or more than ground plus four floors or 50ft (15.2m) and/or total floor area more than 1,00,000Sq.ft. (9.293.6Sq.m) and or structures of special nature and unusual designs, including shells and folded plate systems, water towers and stack like structures, apart from category C and D buildings.
Table 3.3 Maximum Authorization of Professionals
|1-||Building Supervisor||Supervision with 2 years experience||Supervision with 10 years experience||………..||…….||………|
|2-||Building Designer||Design & Supervision||Supervision||………..||…….||………|
|3-||Architect||Architectural Design & Supervision||Architectural Design & Supervision||Architectural Design & Supervision||Architectural Design & Supervision||………|
|4-||Professional Engineer (Civil )||Design & Supervision||Supervision||Supervision with 5 years experience||Supervision with 5 years experience||Supervision|
|5-||Structural Engineer||Structure Design & Supervision||Structure Design & Supervision||Structure Design & Supervision||Structure Design & Supervision||Structure Design & Supervision|
|6-||Proof Engineer||………..||……….||Structure vetting||Structure vetting||……….|
|7-||Town Planner||…………||………..||……….||………||Supervision with 10 year experience|
3-1.4.3 The responsibilities of every Professional signing the plan and documents as above shall be limited to his respective discipline.
3-1.4.4 The Professional so engage shall submit to the Authority in writing on prescribed form (……) in case of building works) of his having undertaken to supervise such work.
3-1.5. Change of Professional
3-1.5.1. Where a Professional ceases to be in charge of such building works before the same is completed, further execution of such work shall forthwith be suspended by the owner until a fresh appointment is made by the owner.
3-1.5.2 The previous Professional shall immediately inform the Authority of his discontinuance from the works (on prescribed form ZP-6 in case of building works.
3-1.5.3 The new Professional/s so engaged shall inform the Authority within 15 days of resuming work. He shall assume full responsibility, as if he were the author, for the correction and competence of all designs prepared by the Professional previously engaged.
3-1.6 Submission on Prescribed Form
Every person who intends to carry out building/land development works under these Regulations shall submit application on relevant prescribed form.
3-2 PERMITS AND PROCEDURES-BUILDING WORKS
3-2.1 Definition of Building Works
For the purposes of these Regulations, the following activities shall be deemed to involve Building Works, unless expressly excluded by these Regulations:
- erection of a Structure,
- demolition of a Structure;
- addition or alteration to any Structure;
- Demolition, addition or alteration to any preserved structure declared as a structure of historical or architectural significance;
- a reconstruction, alteration of the size, or material change in the external appearance of a structure.
3-2.2. Submission of Plans for Approval
The Owner shall submit to the Authority:
3-2.2.1 Two sets of all documents relating to the plot together with a letter from the Concerned Authority Confirming the title/land use physically fresh demarcated/dimensions of the plot along with the existence of any road widening/cut line reservation.
3-2.2.2 In case of form (…..) for proposed plan, initially three sets and finally Six sets of drawings for category I &II of buildings at the time of submission, duly signed by the owner and duly signed and stamped by the relevant Professional. The drawings, should show Plans, Sections and Elevations together with other necessary details pertaining to Structural, Electrical, Mechanical etc. detail and covered area etc. of every floor, including basement, of the building intended to be erected, along-with a block plan of the site, drawn to a scale of not less than 1:500 (1”=40’), showing the position of proposed building and existing building if any; the width and levels if necessary, of the streets on which the plot abuts: and the survey number or the numbers of the adjoining plot or plots, if any, together with the cardinal points; which shall be drawn to a scale of not less than 1:100 (1”=8’) if the building is so extensive as to make a smaller scale necessary, it may be drawn to a smaller scale but not less than 1:200 (1”=16’). Such plans and sections shall show the purpose for which the building or parts thereof are intended to be used; the access to and from the several parts of the building;
3-2.2.3 In Case of Category III and Category IV buildings
- a) Initially three sets and finally Six sets of architectural working/Construction drawing/plans, at the time of initial submission, by the owner and duly signed and stamped by the relevant Professionals. The drawings should show plans, Sections and Elevations of every floor, including basement, of the building intended to be erected, which shall be drawn to a scale of not less than 1:100 (1”=8) if the building is so extensive as to make a smaller scale necessary, it may be drawn to a smaller scale but not less than 1:00(1”=16’). Such plans and sections shall show the purpose for which the building or parts thereof are intended to be used; the access to and from the several parts of the building; the position, dimensions, means of ventilation, the proposed height of the plinth and superstructure at the level of each floor, together with the dimensions and descriptions of all the walls, floors, roofs, staircases and elevator, etc. if any. After architectural approval six sets of structural working drawings and two sets of structural calculations shall be submitted for record duly signed by the owner and stamped by Architect and Structural Engineer respectively, 2 sets of design and working drawings for, plumbing and electric work shall be submitted for record purposes duly signed and stamped by the concerned professional.
- b) Structural vetting by a Proof Engineer is required for any building as per table 3.2.* * the owner / architect will get it vetted by a registered Proof Engineer (enlisted with the Authority). The architect submit two copies of the calculations and five sets of structural drawings along with the approved concept plan two copies of vetting Performa (……), one copy of soil test report duly signed by the owner, structural design engineer and architect. The proof engineer will return the same to the architect after doing the proper vetting after minimum of 10 days for onward transmittal to the structure section of the authority duly signed and with recommendation for the approval structured clearance. The structure section based on the proof engineer’s recommendations will issue an N.O.C of Structural drawings and copies of relevant documents to the concerned zone with seven days of receipt for further processing of the case. The proof engineer will be equally responsible in case there is any error in design drawing and/or calculations, which may result in a problem in the said building.
- The Soil investigation is to be carried out by a licensed Geotechnical firm.
- Two sets of complete soil investigation report including the following signed and stamped by a licensed soil engineer.
- A minimum of two bore logs up to 30ft.(9m) minimum or as per requirements of the Structural Engineer,
- Bore hole location plan
- Recommendation for bearing capacity, and type of foundation
- All necessary laboratory tests and reports
- Recommendations of the Soil Consultant for the type of cement to be used below ground level
- De-watering scheme for sub-soil water if required
3-2.3 Corrections on Plan
No corrections or overwriting shall be permitted on plans submitted for approval.
3-2.4 Alteration of Design
In private residential buildings deviation from the approved building plan shall be allowed (provided it does not violate these regulations) during the construction stage at the responsibility of the concerned licensed / registered professionals. Such deviations shall be regularized on completion of the construction on payment of the requisite composition fee.
Deviations in internal layouts of non-saleable public use buildings shall be allowed (provided they do not violate these regulations) during construction stage at the responsibility of the licensed / registered professionals for non-sale public use buildings. Such deviations shall be regularized on completion of construction on payment of the requisite composition fee. No structural deviations or deviations in the external envelope of the building shall be permitted. The owner shall be required to submit a revised plan for approval before proceeding with the construction of such structural or external envelope changes.
3-2.6. Revision/ Amendment of a Plan
In public sale buildings deviation in internal layouts shall not be allowed during the construction stage. No structural deviations or deviations in the external envelop of the building shall be permitted. The owner shall be required to submit a revised plan for approval before proceeding with the construction of such structural or external envelope changes.
3-2.6 Period of Approval
3-2.6.1 After the receipt of an application for permission to carry out building works, the Authority Shall:
- a) Pass orders granting permission to carry out such building works within 60 calendar days
- b) In the case of refusal/objections, issue the consolidated objections/observations, issue the consolidated objections/observations, specifying the provisions of the Regulations to the Professionals within 30 days.
3-2.6.2 If no order is passed on an application within 60 calendar days of its receipt, it shall be deemed to have been sanctioned to the extent to which it does not contravene the provisions of these Regulations or the Master Plan or sanctioned Site Development Scheme, if any, and after giving notice to the Authority, the person may proceed to carry out the said building works at any time within one (1) year starting from the date of submission provided the title of land is clear from all disputes and objections. Except in the case of building which fall in category-III and IV of table 3.1.
3-2.7 Evidence of Permission
Whenever under any of these Regulations, the doing or the omitting to do a thing, or the validity of anything, depends upon the sanction, permission, approval, order, direction, requisition, notice or satisfaction of the Authority, a written document (….. )/(……) along with the relevant set of drawings as required in Table 3.2 signed by the Authority or any officer duly authorized, purporting to convey or set forth such sanction, permission approval, order direction requisition, notice shall be sufficient prima facie evidence thereof. One complete approved set of drawings shall be made available on the site/ in the office of the developer for prospective buyer.
3-2.8 Cancellation of Permission and Right of Appeal
If at any time after permission to carry out building works has been granted and the Authority is satisfied that such permission was granted in consequence of any defective title of the applicant, material misrepresentation, or fraudulent statement contained in the application made under these Regulations, or in any change in the approved drawings not consistent with these in the approved drawings not consistent with thee regulations in respect of such building, such permission may be cancelled if the professional/ owner fails to satisfy the Authority within 15 days having been served a show cause notice by the Authority and any work done there under shall be deemed to have been done without permission abinitio provided that the applicant shall have a right of appeal to Authority which shall be heard and decided by a committee under the governorship of CCOB of the Authority or his nominee who shall not be less than a b-19 officer within fifteen days of the order of cancellation.
3-2.9 Compliance of Conditions of Approval
Every person who carries out building works or demolition works shall comply with the directions and conditions accompanying the sanction given by the authority as per these regulations
3-2.10. Notice of Verification of Building Lines (Plinth verification)
Every person who commences any building work except Category I under these Regulation, upon completion of plinth and in the case of basements., upon the completion of foundations and shall give notice to the Authority on prescribed form (……), and shall not proceed further with the work for a period of 15 days from the date of receipt by the Authority of such notice, to enable the Authority to verify the building lines. The Authority shall intimate within the aforesaid period, to the owner or his representative, approval of verification or building line or of any error which may be found in the building line, on prescribed form (…..). Verification of the buildings lines by the Authority in no way implies the acceptance of the title, location of the land, which is the sole responsibility of the applicant/owner will be entitled to proceed with the building works after giving notice to the Authority provided the construction is in accordance with the approved building plan.
3-2.11. Floor Certificate
For category “III” and category “IV” buildings, the owner and Professionals shall submit to the Authority floor certificate (Form ZP-5) casting of slab of each floor, are in conformity with the design and specifications as approved by the Authority. If the owner /professionals fail to submit the floor certificate the authority may stop the further construction work.
3-2.12 Inspection of Buildings
The Authority may inspect the premises without giving prior notice;
3-2.12.1 At any time, before the approval of an application received under these Regulations
3-2.12.2 At any time, before the approval of an application received under these Regulations
3-2.12.3 Within 20 days from the receipt of the notice of completion or the occupancy certificate (ZP-7) with respect to any such building;
3-2.12.4 if no notice of completion or occupancy certificate (ZP-7) has been received, at any time after the building has been erected, added to or altered;
3-2.12.5 The authorized officer of vigilance section of the Authority will have the right to inspect that proper record of pouring of all the Structural members is maintained at site along with the test results of 7 days and 28 days of cube/cylinder test of concrete and yield strength of steel for category III & IV types of building.
3-2.12.6 The authorized officer of vigilance section of the Authority shall inspect the buildings to confirm whether the approved specifications are being followed and if otherwise notified in writing giving full details specifying the deviation / defect, where these occur with identification of the location.
3-2.13 Building Works to conform to Approved Plan
3-2.13.1 If on making any inspection under these Regulations the Authority finds that the building works are:
- a) not in accordance with the plans that have been approved, other than alterations as are allowable under these Regulations; or
- b) Contravene any of the provisions of the existing Regulations or any statute, it may, by written notice (….), require the person and the Professional carrying out building works within the period to be specified in such notice, with the object of bringing the works in conformity with the said plan, approved specification, or provision of these Regulations, to get amended plans approved after complying with the requirements of these Regulations. In the case of Category “D” Building, the notice will be issued after personal inspection by at least a Deputy Controller of Buildings.
3-2.13.2 In the event of non-compliance with the Regulations made under Clause 3-2.13.1 above, the Authority shall have power to order cessation of work/sealing of the premises or order immediate demolition of that much of the construction which contravenes any of the provisions of these Regulations and the expenses thereof shall be realized from the owner or by sale recovered items after demolition or both.
14-2.14. Rectification of works after Inspection and Appeal.
3-2.14.1 if there is evidence that in carrying out of building works any construction has been done contrary to any provision of these Regulations and relevant statue, or that anything required under these Regulations is omitted and if, on inspection of such building, it is found that the building work has been completed or has advanced to for and with could not be permitted or allowed under the provision of these Regulations, the Authority, may by written notice (…….) require the owner/person who has/have carried out the building works to drill out, to cut into, or pull down so much building as is beyond the permissible limits as provided in these in these Regulations.
3-2.14.2 if on appeal, the appellant authority, which, in the first instance shall be the Controller of Buildings of the concerned zone, finds that in the carrying out of such building works nothing had been or partially has been done in carrying out the building works contrary to these Regulations or which are also not allowable under these Regulations or statute, he shall either withdraw the notice in to or shall pass partial revised orders for any, or required action as given under Clause 3-2.14.1 such decision shall be conveyed to the appellant within 15 days of the receipt of such an appeal
If the appellant is dissatisfied with decision of the first appellate officer, he may, within 30 days of the receipt of the decision of his first appeal may refer his review petition to Chief COB for decision who shall review the case and in case of disagreement with the applicant, shall it before the GBCS (Gwadar Building Control Section) we were advised in Lahore to have a section rather than Authority for final decision within 30 days.
3-2.14.3 Where a person erected or-erected or commenced to erect or re-erect a building without submitting to the concerned authority building plan for sanction then not with-standing and in addition to any other action that the concerned authority may take under the relevant status and these regulations, the concerned authority within such time as specified in the notice, building plans in accordance with these regulations showing the buildings so erected or re-erected or proposed to be re-erected for the authority’s approval. The authority shall accord approval after levying a composition fee in addition to the scrutiny fee if the building is constructed as per these regulations.
3-2.15. Notice of Completion
3-2.15.1. Every person who carries out and completes building works fully or partially approved under these Regulations shall within one month of the completion of the work deliver to the Authority at its office, in writing the following document.
a). Notice of completion /occupancy on the prescribed form (….) duly signed by the relevant professional together with certificate or certificates as the case may be.
b). A Completion Plan showing the building exactly as completed.
3-15.2. In case building work is completed in all respect but the utility services are not provided by the agencies despite the payment of estimate by the development / owner in public sale buildings / projects, in such cases the completion certificate / occupancy certificate of services.
The completion / occupancy certificate will automatically by deem final, as soon as the connection of utilities by utility agencies.
3-2.15.3. No person shall occupy or permit to occupy or permit occupy any such land or building, or use, or permit to use, any part affected by the erection or re-erection of such building, until the permission referred to in Clause 3-2.15.2. has been granted.
3-2.16. Partial Completion.
The Authority may, upon completion of the structure as permitted by the approved plan, give an Occupancy / Completion Certificate for part of the building which is a complete section / unit of a project and which can be occupied without inconvenience or hazard of any kind to the occupants of the said unit, or to the visitor or users of the same and does not interfere with the construction of the rest of the buildings. Wherever such Partial Occupancy Certificate is issued to owner / Professional shall also be required to take all safety measures for the users, occupiers and visitor. In addition, they shall be required to take such measures as the Authority may at its discretion require ensuring adequate safety of the occupiers, visitors and users of the building or part thereof. Subject to the condition that in case of public sale project the condition as enumerated in clause No. 5-2.22 shall be completed.
- Refusal to issue Occupancy Certificate
The Authority may refuse an application to issue an Occupancy Certificate, if the proposed or completed building contravenes or is in any manner inconsistent with any building or zoning regulations or restrictions, and give direction, with specific reason under the relevant statute or the Regulations.
- Permit to Demolish Buildings.
No Building may be demolished without written permission from the Authority on a prescribed form ( …..) No permit to demolish will be issued unless the Authority is assured by the applicant through an undertaking that the electricity, gas, water, sewerage or other utility services connections to the building or portion to be demolished shall be effectively cut off or relocated and such connections shall remain cut off/ relocated during the period of the work in case of any adverse effect and eventuality the owner / contactor shall be fully responsible.
All applications for a permit to demolish a building shall be made on appropriate from (…..) and permission to demolish by the Authority shall be issued on appropriate from (……).
Contractor / building/developers/owner will cover all the damage to life and property including third parties by Contractor’s All Risk Insurance Policy.