CHAPTER II: LAHORE DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY
- ESTABLISHMENT OF THE LAHORE DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY:(1) As soon as may be after the commencement of this Act, the Government shall establish an Authority to be called the Lahore Development Authority for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
(2) The Authority shall be a body corporate, with perpetual succession and a common seal, with powers, subject to the provisions of this Act, to acquire and hold property, both movable and immovable, and may, by the said name, sue and be sued.
(3) The Authority shall consist of the following Chairman and members
(a) Chief Minister Punjab Chairman
(b) six elected representatives to be nominated by the Government from amongst the following:
(i) minimum two members of the Provincial Assembly of Punjab, not more than one from each district of Lahore Division;
(ii) minimum two members of the local government who may be Mayor of the Metropolitan Corporation, Lahore, Chairman of a Municipal Committee or Chairman of a District Council, not more than one from each district of Lahore Division
(iii) two members from either of the two categories as provided in clauses (i) and (ii);
(c) Chairman Planning and Development Board of the Government;
(d) Secretary to Government, Finance Department;
(e) Secretary to Government, Housing, Urban Development and Public Health Engineering Department;
(f) Secretary to Government, Local Government and Community Development Department;
(h) two technical experts to be appointed by the Government;
(i) Director General; and
(j) all Managing Directors and
(4) The membership of the Authority may be altered, increased or decreased by the Government.
(5) No act or proceeding of the Authority shall be invalid merely by reason of any vacancy in, or defect in the constitution of the Authority.
4-A. VICE CHAIRMAN: (1) The Government may designate from among the members not more than two Vice Chairmen of the Authority.
(2) A Vice Chairman shall perform such functions as may be assigned to him by the Authority.
- QUALIFICATIONS OF THE MEMBER: No person shall be, or shall continue to be a member who–
(a) is or, at any time, has been convicted of an offence involving moral turpitude; or
(b) is or, at any time, has been adjudicated insolvent; or
(c) is found to be a lunatic or of unsound mind; or
(d) is a minor; or
(e) has a financial interest in any scheme or a conflicting interest, directly or indirectly, between his interests as a member and his private interests, and has failed to disclose such interest in writing to the Government.
- POWERS AND FUNCTIONS OF THE AUTHORITY:(1) Subject to the provisions of this Act and any rules framed thereunder, the Authority may exercise such powers and take such measures as may be necessary for carrying out the purposes of this Act.
(2) Without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing sub-section, the authority shall–
(i) initiate and maintain a continuous process of comprehensive development planning for the area with the objective of preparing and implementing master plan;
(ii) periodically update such master plan and co-ordinate its implementation by the Authority and other Government Agencies within the Area;
(iii) develop, operate and maintain water-supply, sewerage and drainage systems within the service area of the Water and Sanitation Agency to be established under section 10(2) of this Act;
(iv) prepare Annual Development Programme for the area, ensure compliance of the Annual Development Programme with priorities established in the master plan after its preparation, and evaluate performance under the Annual Development Programme at the end of each year;
(v) establish, maintain and periodically revise as necessary, planning controls and building regulations for the Area to–
(a) provide appropriate urban design and protect public safety;
(b) ensure compliance with the master plan after its preparation; and
(vi) take all steps and measures necessary for the implementation and enforcement of the provisions of clauses (i) to (v) above.
(3) Without in any way restricting the scope of sub-sections (1) and (2), the Authority may–
(i) prepare, implement and enforce schemes for environmental improvements, housing, urban renewal including slum improvement and redevelopment, solid waste disposal, transportation and traffic, health and education facilities and preservation of objects or places of historical, archaeological, scientific, cultural and recreational importance;
(ii) take any steps or adopt any measures for the face lifting and beautification of the area;
(iii) acquire property, both movable and immovable;
(iv) sell, lease, exchange or otherwise dispose of or grant licence or concessions in respect of any property vested in it;
(v) undertake any works and incur any expenditure;
(vi) procure machinery, instruments or any other material required by it;
(vii) enter into contracts;
(viii) cause studies, surveys, experiments or technical researches to be made or contribute towards the cost of any such studies, surveys, experiments or technical researches, made by any other Agency;
(ix) issue interim development orders for areas for which a scheme is under preparation and restrict or regulate by general or special order any change in the use of land and alteration in building structures and installations;
(x) cause removal of any works obstructing the executions of its schemes;
(x-a) construct, maintain, upgrade and exclusively charge toll on roads, bridges, flyovers, underpasses or such other facilities within the area, grant concession in respect thereof;
(xi) seek and obtain advice and assistance for the preparation of any scheme, or for the execution of any scheme from any Government Agency or person, and such Agency or person shall give the advice and assistance sought by the Authority to the best of its ability, knowledge and judgement and the additional expenditure, if any, involved in giving such advice or assistance shall be borne by the Authority; and
(xii) establish as many Agencies as it may consider necessary.
- MEETINGS: (1) The Authority shall meet at such place and at such time and shall observe such rules of procedure in regard to transaction of business at its meetings as may be prescribed.
(2) The meetings of the Authority shall be presided over by –
(i) the Chairman;
(ii) in the absence of the Chairman, the Vice Chairman;
(iii) in case there are more than one Vice Chairmen, in accordance with such priority as may be determined by the Authority; and
(iv) in the absence of the Chairman as well as the Vice Chairman, by a member of the Authority elected for the purpose by the members present, from amongst themselves.